Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Life Of A Recruiter



Blue denim polo (Landmark Department Store), Laptop Bag (Crumpler)
Maroon Pants (Cotton On) and Black Shoes (Fit Flop)

For some reason, whenever I tell someone what I do for a living, I usually receive dead air and bland facial reactions from them. It's either they have no interesting inputs to share or they are totally clueless about it. So I usually end up saying the keyword(s) job hiring, talent acquisition, and I-know-a-job-opportunity-and-you-might-be-interested-to-apply. Then the conversation will pick up and becomes interesting. 

Being a recruiter is challenging, just like your job.


Since the Philippine BPO gained its confidence in the business world way back in 2000, a lot of opportunities in Human Resources had also came out. Before, it was an HR Generalist who does all the leg work. Now, there are separate teams for Recruitment, Compensation & Benefits, Employee Engagement, Corporate-HR, Training, Events, just to name a few. It was in 2009 when I decided to invest in this career. My plan before when I was still studying BS Psychology at the University of the East was to practice my profession in Guidance Counselling and/or Human Resources. Currently, I have no regrets in joining this community as an HR Recruitment Practitioner.

Talking to a lot of persons contributed a world of difference both in my professional and personal life. It has given me confidence to be more resourceful, consultative, a speaker and a listener. My job did not set hard fences on my personal life when it comes to expressing my style. It did not compromise my way of expressing myself - from fashion, to arts and my passion for food!

Earnestly speaking, I was able to talk to different characters from diverse cultures. I was doing agent hiring when I was with one of the leading centers in Manila, mingling with a wide spectrum of personalities and capabilities -- from a high-school graduate who has an excellent communication skills to a former manager who has a very bad subject-verb agreement problems. Three years of my life were well spent with those kinds and I learned a lot. I had almost a year of stint in an IT-BPO company where I used to hire multilinguals -- name it: Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, German, French, Chinese, Norwegian and Swedish. Trust me, IT WAS FUN! Presently, I am still engaged with the same business, but focuses now on hiring healthcare professionals.

Recruitment is all about match-making; it is between an organization looking for an employee and an individual looking for an ideal job. What I enjoy most about my job is dealing with people, negotiating, closing a partnership, business development and presentations. Life has been different every day. For aspiring recruiters, it sounds corny but it is true -- recruitment can be like a rollercoaster with big highs and big lows so you have to keep your motivations afloat. For those who are with me in the same circle, let us not forget that the key thing beyond any qualification is attitude.

You, what is your story?

Follow me on twitter and instagram
For email and inquiries: owelmorales@gmail.com



1 comment:

  1. Just my two cents:

    Being a recruiter, more than anything else, is touching lives. This job always has something to offer, something new to keep the ball rolling, something fun to make lives easier. No amount of money can ever pay off the experience we get from the people we meet who came from all walks of life. Hearing different stories and their fair share of how they live their precious lives will never tantamount the amount reflecting on our pay slips.

    ReplyDelete