Friday, July 11, 2014

The Season of Red and White

What defines a fan (otherwise known as fanatic or aficionado)? Is it being passionate for something that you like? Is it a personal or special connection that only yourself can understand? Or is it someone or something you want to become someday? A known fan may not have an answer to this. All I know is that a fan will never get tired of admiring his obsession until his last breath.

This marks my ninth year as a Red Warriors' fan. Whichever team you are rooting for, if that team losses, it feels devastating. Being a fan of this team was not easy; watching them play for more or less 160 games, I can say I have witnessed and experienced the misery of all the miseries. Of course, what more to these players.
Dream come true! Got featured in Manila Bulletin. Thanks to Sir Jaser for this!

A long engagement, indeed. I have never been this affianced to someone or something for over 9 years. I can still hear each school's drumbeat playing inside my head whenever the season is about to start. The feels while lining up outside the coliseum, either buying a ticket or waiting for the green gate or red gate to open, is just ecstatic overall. Who would have forget these, "Go UE fight, Warriors fight!" and "Bomba! UE! ig-ma-ka-di-ma"! I wish I knew the story behind those chants.


Signature warm-up routine.

I remember this one final 4 appearance where we had the twice-to-beat advantage, where most of the sports analysts and enthusiasts were rooting for us but was disowned by UST Growling Tigers and became the champion of that year. Who would have forget the 14-0 run during the eliminations. We had everything at that time, sweeping every team that confronts our way to the finals.  The spotlight was on us, but we were rejected during the finals by the DLSU Green Archers. That season where we did not have a good run during the first part of the elims but was able to move fast during the second part took the twice-to-beat advantage from FEU Tamaraws and our last final appearance against ADMU Blue Eagles. I thought it was a Cinderella story. Last season was a heartbreak too; Fil-oil Pre-season Champions but ended up 6th during the season 76 of UAAP elimination part. Not to mention the rumors about Bonbon Custodio and Dindo Pumaren who sold their souls to the enemies. I can still feel jimjams for those moments.

My longest relationship so far. It had ups and downs. We sometimes get into fight, but I never surrender my hope. I remember those crucial games where, aside from praying for them to win, I had nothing else to do but shout. A husky voice after every each damn game. That moment where I had to watch with a friend from another school since she had the tickets. Little did I know, it was a reserved seating from the opponent's side. I was wearing red and I was being surrounded by an army of green. We won that game, but even if we did not I would still feel proud.

The UE Red Warriors and the late Dr. Tanchangco (this man has been very supportive).

Amidst all of these losses, I never get drained. I might be upset for a while, but I never stop supporting them. I think that is what a fan is being made of. It is not only being passionate for something that you like, it is how you have been touched by the story. It is not just a personal or special connection, it is more of how you relate to yourself. It is not just how you want to become like him/them, it is how you want see your successful future. A real Red Warrior does not just play, but fight; does not win, but gain; does not lose, but hope. Starting tomorrow, a new journey is about to start in UAAP and my university, our Lualhati, will be the host this year's season. I will always be faithful to the team that I have been supporting throughout these years. And I will patiently wait for our 19th crown to be ours. Let's go, UE

With my favorite UAAP buddies, Geo and Cheska. I miss you guys! #throwback2008

Follow me on twitterfacebook, and instagram
For email and inquiries: owelmorales@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment